Thursday, January 19, 2012

Singer 401

For a couple of years now (four to be exact) I've been making a lot of my own clothes. It actually started when I was about 16 years old. I was going through some boxes in our attic, when I came across an old sewing machine and about 5 boxes of different kinds of fabrics. I started sewing immediately. I watched sewing tutorials on youtube and printed a lot of patterns from different websites, which helped me out quite a lot. When my parents saw that I really loved sewing and did it every chance I got, they surprised me with my very own sewing machine for my birthday.

My first sewing machine. It was really old but at least it worked.

I love making clothes for myself for so many reasons. An obvious one being that it's nice to have something that's unique and self-made. I can feel proud when I wear something I spent hours making. I also save a lot of money buying fabrics instead of clothes. Another reason it's good to know how to make my own clothes is that my arms and legs are quite long, so at times it's really hard for me to find clothes that fit perfectly, so when I sew for myself, they do. The thing I still love the most is that for me, sewing is like meditation. It's calming and it helps me clear my head. I've been meaning to take some sewing classes for the longest time now, so that I could learn more about techniques and stuff like that, but I just haven't gotten around to it. It would be so nice to have my own clothing line someday, but for now I'm just going to continue sewing for myself and my friends.

Here are a few pictures of some of the clothes I've made:

A skirt I made last winter
Yeah, I guess I really liked that fabric..




My sister lost her favorite pair of shorts so I tried to make a replica of them for her birthday.


I wanted a peach-colored one shoulder dress for my graduation party, so I came up with this:


My next projects
There are so many clothes I have to get finished (including my sisters birthday present!!) but there just aren't enough hours in a day. Hopefully during the upcoming weekend I'll get some of the work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment